Tuesday, April 13, 2010

PAMA Mint Julep

This sounds good, though I'm sure it's very sweet. I haven't tried it, but when PAMA first came out, I tried it in a Manhattan a few times and liked it. It's a very good substitute for the sweet vermouth.

The Kentucky Derby is May 1 and I'll probably make a few more julep-related posts before then. If you have any julep-related questions, you can post them here as comments.

If I made this drink, I might try it with more Manhattan-like proportions, like 3:1 in favor of the bourbon.

PAMA pomegranate liqueur is a Heaven Hill product, hence the Evan Williams bourbon recommendation in the recipe below.

Other than adding a liqueur where none has been before, I give them credit for not mucking-up the classic julep too much.

PAMA Mint Julep
2 oz. PAMA Pomegranate Liqueur
2 oz. Evan Williams Bourbon
2 Sprigs of Fresh Mint
2 Sugar Cubes

In a mixing glass, muddle mint and sugar with Bourbon and PAMA. Shake ingredients vigorously over ice and strain into a rocks glass over crushed ice. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and serve.

No comments: